Latest Posts

The Summer I Turned Pretty Series by Jenny Han (Book Review)

By 05:24 , , , , , , ,


(This is a hardcore chick lit! I've been wanting to blog about this series as soon as I was done but I haven't gotten around due to my fucked up sleeping schedule. But here I am!)

There are 3 books in this series namely: The Summer I Turned Pretty, It's Not Summer Without You and finally, We'll Always Have Summer. :)

Okay so the story's pretty much about Belly (Isabel Conklin), who has always had a crush on Conrad Beck and is best friends with Jeremiah Beck. It's kinda like a love triangle with her and Susannah Beck's boys. It's about first love, summer love, family, friendship, acceptance, moving on, growing up and so much more. I love Jenny Han now! Gosh. It's like you're kinda torn along with Belly. A tug of war about who are you rooting for, Conrad or Jeremiah. :)

I'm gonna talk about Belly, the main character of the story. I imagined the girl in the cover to be Belly, of course.





I mean look at her, she's so pretty. I really liked her character except for her stubbornness and always wanting to prove something and also her rash decisions on childish whims where I didn't agree upon much. But besides that, her character was endearing and loving. I love how she's always there for the people whom she loves. I love how she loves deeply. Sometimes, I don't get her bad attitude towards her mom but when I sadly think about it, I'm mean to my mom too. She's growing up and unsteady which is normal for people who are 17-something. I love how at the 3rd book, when the wedding didn't happen, she went away and discovered herself. She obeyed Susannah and she saw the world.


Chad Micheal Murray was my Conrad Beck. He was brooding, mysterious and tall. But when he smiles, Belly is won over again and again. Just like Conrad. His character though, I was mad at him at first because of leading Belly on. Because I know that feeling and it sucks. Giving false hope is just cruel. But he has a problem with sharing his thoughts and feelings though and Belly's the one that opened him up and accepted him whole. I think that kind of love will stay and forever be marked upon a guy's heart. That's why he loved Belly deeply even though it killed him to see her with his brother, whom he must take care of because of his mom's dying wish. He was a jerk on Belly's prom but other than that, he was lovely.

I loved this quote Belly said about Conrad.


Now onto my Jeremiah Beck.


Jeremiah's this funny and always energetic with a smile that can affect Belly and make her happy. He always had feelings for Belly and that summer just proved it more. He was the best friend. His enigmatic character is what I loved most. He's so kind, even though he makes mistakes he's still the loving Jeremiah and I loved that about him. I kinda rooted for him at first because he was the underdog. He rushed things with Belly but he stayed strong with her. He's just a boy who is madly in love after all. He wanted to prove something but they still had so much growing up to do, so when the wedding was canceled and he had that look on his face that assured Belly that he will always be her Jeremiah, I admired him for that.


I kinda rooted for Conrad at the end though. Because he was really hurting watching Belly and his brother. But I kinda felt sorry for Jere too. I'M TORN TOO OKAY?! Hahaha. Here are some of the quotes in the book that I really liked.

Sometimes it’s like people are a million times more beautiful to you in your mind. It’s like you see them through a special lens—but maybe if it’s how you see them,that’s how they really are.It’s like the whole tree falling in the forest thing.
— Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty









 I dug through the Tumblr tag of The Summer I Turned Pretty and I kinda went overboard with the quotes. I just liked so many, maybe too many to put all up here. Otherwise, I'd be quoting a shit ton. :)

I liked it very much! I'm happy I came across this series. You should go read it too! <3

You Might Also Like

0 comments